Looking for one last fall singing time before delving into Christmas music? Try this easy activity for learning these 2 fall songs (probably best suited for Junior primary)...
I was at our local storytime when they passed out these leaves to all the kids:
(sorry for the crazy library carpet background!)
I knew they would work well with a few of our fall primary songs, It's Autumntime and/or Autumn Day. The leaves are really simple to prepare - laminated leaf die-cuts with a hole punched into them and about a 8 inch string attached.
When we used them in storytime, each child got a leaf and held it by the string up high (while standing). As we sung, the leaves started falling downward, in a back-and-forth motion. We ended with the leaves resting on the ground. The kids LOVED it! What a great fall wiggle song!
To learn the words of the songs, you can do the following:
o Write the words on the chalkboard before primary. As you and the primary come up with actions, erase phrases as actions are learned.
o Repeat having the kids mimic the actions while you sing, or while they listen to the songs on CD.
o Sing each phrase to them while they echo it back while still mimicking your motions. Then put it all together without the echoing.
o Also ask questions as you sing each phrase:
For It's Autumntime:
- How many times did I sing "It's Autumntime?" 
- Where are the leaves falling? [down]
- Where is autumn all around? [the town]
- What color of leaves are mentioned? [yellow, red and brown]
- What can be found? [bright colors]
- This is such a beautiful time of year. The things that make it so beautiful are the colorful autumn leaves falling.
For Autumn Day:
- Who should we not forget? [God, who gives]
- Each child should be happy with all that lives. The song doesn't use the word happy. What word do you hear? [glad]
- What does God give us when autumn comes our way? [richest gifts]
- If we look on every side, what will we see? [pleasant things for you and me]
- We sing six words that describe the apples. What words do you hear? [red, yellow, round, juicy, sweet, mellow]
- Round, juicy apples load the trees until the trees do what? [bend over and their branches brush the clover - which is a type of green grass]
Download my To-Go Lesson Plan HERE which includes all of the above information.
**This could also be a fun activity to incorporate into Nursery!